[Artemisia] Richard the Lionheart

TClayton hereford at xmission.com
Mon May 7 18:36:03 CDT 2007

The only bit of documentation that I am aware of that seems to point to
Richard engaging in homosexual acts refers to a warning he received from the
Church saying to forebear from "The sins of Sodom". These "sins"are often
associated today with homosexuality, but many theologians will argue that in
the period (and maybe today) what they refer to is rape in general.
    His lack of any heir from Queen Berengaria is often pointed at, but to
have an heir, you must at least reside in the same country, which they did
not. In fact, they rarely ever saw each other and married with out ever
meeting before hand. It was a marriage of political alliance only.
    There are many tales of his womanizing however. I had mentioned the
nature of his death, which is well documented. The only illegitimate son he
recognized was Philip of Cognac.
-----Ralph, Rex Artemisia