[Artemisia] Richard the Lionheart

TClayton hereford at xmission.com
Mon May 7 21:51:05 CDT 2007

Also let me add, that in this period,  very deep (hetro) friendships between
men are very often described with the word love, and are ascribed as lovers.
It's in our homophobic era that we imply the "gay" aspect to it. It's
possible that Hovedon is simply trying to portray them as very close,
inseperable companions. Shakespeare is full of such comparisons ("The
Merchant of Venice" has many references like these) that do not mean to
imply homosexual acts. However, it is true that the stigma for homosexual
practices in the middle ages, particularly among the noblility, was far less
than it is today.
 Until the invention and introduction of courtly love, it was considered odd
or weak to refer to a relationship between a  man and a woman with the word
"love". That was certainly more sinful!
    A great book on this subject is "The Royal Bastards of Medieval England"
by Chris Given -Wilson and Alice Curteis. It talks about these very issues
on this list.
-----Ralph, Rex Artemisia