[Artemisia] Historiography and Richard Lionheart

Tamar Black Sea tamar at coteduciel.org
Tue May 8 11:32:53 CDT 2007

Thank you Ryryd for stating this point (historiography) so succinctly. I
felt a little silly at first, posting a question that seems so obvious
at first glance.

One unintended consequence of playing in our "current middle ages" is
that we can become quite habituated to seeing everything in modern
terms. There are all sorts of aspects of the middle ages that we avoid
like the plague (such as the plague :-) in the SCA. For example, we
DON'T recreate the role of the church in every day life. We do not
recreate an inherited aristocracy. Advancement in the SCA  is merit
based and, unfortunately, won't make us rich or powerful; (sigh), the
list goes on and on.

I have been completely enthralled reading everyone's responses and have
learned a lot in the process. Thanks to everyone for taking the time to
post such thought provoking responses.

The teaching materials I am using for covering the middle ages are a lot
of fun and give a good (extremely) broad  overview  of  the big issues
in the middle ages.  The period covered is from the end of the Roman
Empire to the early Italian Renaissance. It is such a huge time and
place that it gets a little frustrating trying to do justice to any one
subject. People can, and have done PhD's in any one of the subject areas
that the book covers.

A few of the subjects that we will be hitting next include; the
development of a legal system in England (during the reign of Henry II),
King John and the Magna Carta, the role of castles and forts, the
construction of catherdrals and the rise of the medieval university.

Thanks again to everyone for adding so much depth to the discussion. We
are having a ball reading your posts.

YIS,
Tamar

OHH!! P.S. I wrote earlier that Henry the First reigned after King
Stephan....I meant Henry II ...I am so embarrassed :-) Also, I didn't
count the Empress Maud in the line of succession....you all can decide
if she should be included or not.  :-)