[Artemisia] Historiography and Richard Lionheart

Stephanae Baker stephanae at countryrhoades.net
Tue May 8 12:53:07 CDT 2007

Milord Ryryd,

If you are accusing me of historiography, then I must protest that
you didn't read me very closely. I was saying that historiography is
what we all do when we read history if we're not careful. We posit
theories--hopefully educated ones--based on how we read the sources.
It's when we decide our theories are fact that we go awry. I don't
think I attempted to impose any facts on what I said; however, you did:

> Alexander the Great had sex with men, therefore was homosexual:
> (bisexuality in Greece and Macedon were social norms, accepted, and
> expected.  About the only ones who condemned this at that time were
> the remaining Hebrew Tribes in Judea)

I don't disagree about this, but one of my points in my first email
was that even applying contemporary ideas of homosexuality and
bisexuality to Alexander or Richard is an automatic form of
historiography. Homosexuality and bisexuality were not identity-
defining labels in the period as they are today. People participated
in homosexual acts but they were not therefore forcibly homosexual in
the modern sense.

> Abraham Lincoln slept with a man, therefore was homosexual: (He
> slept with him because there was only one bed, it was large enough
> for two men, and it was too cold and stupid for one to sleep on the
> floor)

Were you in Lincoln's bed with him? I wasn't. I don't pretend to know
whether Lincoln had sex with another man or not. (Which is, again,
not the same question as "was he homosexual?") I think history
doesn't confirm it but also doesn't eliminate the possibility as you
suggest. I'm not particularly invested in one possible truth over the
other. But then allowing multiple possibilities is much more
interesting to me than deciding what I believe and believing it just
because.

> Gilgamesh and Enki loved each other {from the Epic of Gilgamesh},
> therefore Gilgamesh was homosexual: (First, Enki wasn't even
> human.  Second, as our good King mentioned in a prior post, this
> just means they were close friends)

I'd have to push absurdity to argue with this one; I agree with your
interpretation. But I do still have to insist that it IS an
interpretation. We're interpreting the word "love." We can't
necessarily prove that our interpretation of the word is the absolute
truth. It's the more likely truth, but there's no "absolute truth"
when language and people are our sources, especially when you're
dealing with multiple languages and people from multiple cultures and
times.

> It is very unlikely that Napoleon, T. E. Lawrence, Augustus Caeser,
> Peter the Great, Richard Lionheart, and so many others just
> happened to be homosexual.  It is even more unlikely that it was
> homosexuality that made these figures, and others, great.

I'm beginning to speak in circles, but here we go anyway. It's
unlikely these men happened to be homosexual. As I stated, homosexual
in the modern sense is not a period concept. Is it just as unlikely
that they had sex with men once or twice or 25 times? Not remotely as
unlikely. Is it unlikely that homosexual practices are the only thing
that made them great? Definitely. Is it just as unlikely that
possible homosexual practices contributed to who they were, what they
did, and their fascination to us? Definitely not.

> A fundamental problem is the English word 'love'.  As we all know,
> 'love' can mean many things in many contexts, most of them non-
> sexual.  Even doctors make a mess of this in technical terms:
> Pedophilia means, literally "love a child as a brother".  Pedoeros
> would be the correct word, meaning "love a child sexually".

I think what you meant, correct me if I'm wrong, is that a
fundamental problem is that English has only one word for love
(although we also have the word "like," which is more than you can
say for French, for example). A language like Greek has four words
for love--all of which get translated as "love" in English. This is
indeed a problem, but even a word like eros is not as straightforward
as you suggest. In fact, etymologically, your invented word pedoeros
is exactly the same as the word pederast, which Lord Conrad earlier
translated as "boy-lover." While eros's meaning does incorporate sex
and desire, it also simply expresses passion stronger than philia, so
that even when the Greeks use the word eros, we can't be 100% certain
whether or not they were talking about sex.

All of which brings me back to my original point that we can't state
fact. Humans can only interpret, even when we think we're not
interpreting. Discussing whether Richard's (or Napoleon's or Peter
the Great's) possible sexual practices affected his place in history
is a no more or less legitimate discussion than whether or not his
abilities as a warrior and tactician affected his place in history.
They're all pieces of the puzzle. A single human being is
complicated, and history concerns itself with billions. That's what
makes HL Tamar's original question completely deceptive in its
simplicity. Trying to answer what made Richard interesting (or great
if you want) to billions of people in dozens of cultures over a
millennium of time creates something impossible to calculate or pin
down to fact. Richard is obviously not interesting to me for the same
reasons he's interesting to you. I don't think I'd give a damn about
Richard if I didn't love the play "The Lion in Winter," which paints
its fictional Richard as having a conflicted sexual relationship with
Philip. I don't think James Goldman, who authored The Lion in Winter,
would pretend his fictional account of Richard was based entirely on
fact, but he created a Richard who was credibly possible based on
historical sources and who was also an extremely complex and
interesting character. You can disagree with me that part of what
creates a person's place in history is our collective imagination, if
you'd like. I'd respect your position. But it is the one theory I am
positing--not as fact (which is something I don't think we have the
ability to parse), but as a theory I think is strong enough to
defend. It's my theory that we only actually go wrong and fall into
historiography when we pretend that we can know much of anything at
all for certain.

Respectfully,
Lady Belladonna