[Artemisia] Richard the Lionheart

Stephanae Baker stephanae at countryrhoades.net
Tue May 8 19:11:10 CDT 2007

Hey, Allegretza,

I just wanted to encourage you in asking questions like this. While
the idea that the church intentionally redirected people's attention
and invented Richard as a war hero probably goes way too far, as
Ryryd pointed out, most of the population was illiterate. While this
meant the church didn't have to cover things up, I'd be willing to
argue that it actually gave them more control over which information
they'd decide to disseminate and which they'd simply choose to ignore.

Asking simply if it's possible that the church was motivated to help
Richard's popularity because he was fighting the crusades isn't a
stupid question. Of course, that's where you have to start your
research. And you have to be prepared for the possibility that you
won't be able to find any reliable evidence whatsoever to support
your theory. Then again, if you don't find anything that contradicts
your theory, you can always still explore it by writing a historical
fiction ;).

Lady Belladonna