[Artemisia] Period Norman Garb- Black?

TClayton hereford at xmission.com
Wed May 9 22:45:06 CDT 2007

I am not a textile Laurel, but a "Norman" Laurel, so I'll take a crack at
this...
    Black was a relative term. To dye fabric "black" required an enormous
amount of pigment. In the period, browns, greens, blues, and even purple
pigments were used to achieve "black". Lamp black or black wool are
inherently black, but will not achieve a true "black" but a rather charcoal
grey. So, blacks were often just very dark colors (think of  the "indigo" or
"navy blue" pea coat. That would have been considered "Black").  Unless
those "textile-ophiles" out ther would care to educate me further.. :)
    This made "black" fabric possible (though I think it would have a faint
tint of color) but very expensive. And I doubt it would stay black for long
The Bayeux Tapestry cannot be scrutinized to closely (it has green horses!),
but it does give a representation of the types of colors used. Men are shown
wearing everything from Yellows, rusts, reds and greens to dark blues,
browns, and even  purples... but no  "true" black.
-----Ralph, Rex Artemisia