[Artemisia] "Six file federal complaint over sex abuse conviction" ... Against the SCA

John Harrison darkjag at gmail.com
Thu May 10 12:12:46 CDT 2007

I believe that the post from Maitresse Tanglwyst de Holloway belongs
on this one....maily because it is about this occurance.  As such, I
have taken the liberty to post it here along with my feelings on this
issue...mainly because I have to agree with it.

The issues happened outside the SCA's realm of controll...it did not
occur at an event...and it occured at a place that the children's
parrents thought was safe.  Yes it is horrible that the man was in teh
SCA...and it is horrible that he used that as a ruse to lure children
into his trap...but what happened cannot be attached tot the SCA.
That is like saying that the Boy Scouts is responsible for any crimes
that a Boy Scout or Troop Master commits when they are not at a Boy
Scout function.  Just because a criminal decides to affiliate
himself/herself with a non-profit group does not make it that groups
responsibility unless the person tells the group of his/her past
exploits or future plans....

I am not saying that it isn't horrible, because it is...I am saying
that, unfortunately for all concerned, it was unavoidable since the
parents of the children obviously trusted this man.

Yours in Service to the Dream and in offering my condolences to the
victims of this tragedy,

-Lord Garath r' cath cara bardd

Here is Maitresse Tanglwyst de Holloway's post for those that may have
missed it:

>Excuse me, but would that have even shown up on a background check?
He was >involved in the SCA for 10 years as a youth group minister,
but didn't get caught >during the entire time he was a predator.
Background checks, even the extensive >kind done by the Idaho State
Patrol, only shows up investigations. If this guy was >sucessfully
abusing these children for a decade, no background check would >have
shown his evil side. Was this predator actually investigated and
cleared >several times or something? Or did this conviction happen all
at once, with a flood >of children brave enough to step forward once
the first one(s) did? A situation like >that wouldn't have shown up on
a background check, even if we required them at >the First Garden
Party. I guess I don't want the SCA held responsible because >we
didn't utilize the mind-reading software we so obviously have been
hiding from >the government.Maitresse Tanglwyst de HollowayBarony of
Arn HoldKingdom of >Artemisia"