[Artemisia] background checks

Richard Samul scascot at mac.com
Thu May 10 20:21:12 CDT 2007

The short answer to the question is "no".

A background investigation will only reveal someone who has already
been convicted of the crime in question (actually, it will reveal
*any* sex crime, regardless of whether or not it involved children).
It will not, and I must stress NOT, reveal anyone who is suspected
of, or currently being investigated for, this type of crime. And if
the person isn't even a blip on law enforcement radar, there is
absolutely zero chance of them being revealed by a background check.

The only thing a background investigation does is to reveal known sex
offenders. In most (not all) cases, these are people who are trying
to get on with their lives after their conviction and prison term. A
very small percentage of convicted sex offenders are simple
predators, who lack the ability to learn from a mistake and correct
their lives. Yet, these are the ones who grab the headlines, and have
the country in a panic that "something must be done" (see: the Shasta
Groene case).

So. Background investigations = good. Keeps the known where you can
see them. Should it be a glaring spotlight? Not in my opinion.
However, background investigations <> total security. Just because
someone passed a check doesn't mean they're safe. The government and
the SCA can't do it all for you, nor should they. You must, at some
point, take responsibility for the safety of your children.

The case in question is a perfect example. The SCA simply could not
have known anything was amiss, despite claims from the plaintiffs to
the contrary. The SCA had no reason to investigate or have concern
until the matter was brought to their attention. The abuses happened
at a non-SCA-sponsored, private event outside the control or auspices
of the SCA. Even under the proposed rules for background
investigation, there wouldn't have been one, because of the nature of
the gathering. And, the investigation for his holding office wouldn't
have shown anything, anyway, because he wasn't a convicted sex
offender at that point.

The responsibility here rests squarely on the parents of the children
to (a) know the person they are leaving their children with, and (b)
be approachable by their children. Sadly, it appears that neither
happened, and the SCA is being blamed as a result.

--
Earc
2 pence