[Artemisia] RE: background checks

gregero gregero at gmail.com
Fri May 11 09:14:45 CDT 2007

Hopefully to reinforce HE Yumitori's admonition....

Discussing whether or not the new background check system would have
prevented the Pennsylvania tragedy is to miss the point of the new
system. The new system is not being put into place to avoid these
things.  If it does prevent them, it's a wonderful by-product.  The
system is being put in place so that when stuff like this does happen
we can say to a judge in court, "See we tried. We did our best."

The new system may need tweaking to be fair to the membership, but
like the majority of the rules created within the last several years,
it's not necessarily meant to be effective, it's about limiting SCA
corporate liability.

It may offend our chivalric sensibilities, but that is exactly why the
BoD and corporate exist in the first place.

Gregory