[Artemisia] More Norman Garb Questions

Sue Clemenger mooncat at in-tch.com
Sat May 12 22:29:42 CDT 2007

Not stupid questions at all! How are you going to learn, if you don't ask?
;o)
1.  The "seams" in the Bayeaux Tapestry are probably a function of the
embroidery--to separate design sections, indicate folds, etc.
2.  The leg wrappings are...leg wrappings.  Coming out of the depths of my
brain, is a word "wikklebands" (spelling entirely optional), but I think
that's an Anglo-Saxon term, and not a Norman one.  I know that there are
guys in the SCA who wear them (Syr Kian is one of them), but I'm not
familiar enough with them to give you any info, sorry.
3.  A lot of us are becoming familiar (or are familiar) with using wool for
our SCA clothing.  It's also used for any-season clothing in other
reenactment groups.  Some wool fabrics are definitely cooler than others--if
you're particularly concerned with being overheated, look for wool fabrics
marked as "tropical wools."  It's not the looseness of the weave that's
important, I don't think, so much it is the weight of the fabric.  (Think,
say, of the difference in weight between cotton sheets and carharts--both
are made of cotton, yes? which would you be more likely to wear in the
summer? ;o)
If you're particularly heat-sensitive (as some of us are), you might think
of making outer clothing from linen, which is lovely to wear in the
summer/hotter months.  There's perishingly little evidence of linen being
used for outer layers in time period the SCA covers, but it's a compromise
some of us are willing to make for our hotter and drier climates.
If I may offer some advice, if you can afford it, DO make your
undertunics/shifts/shirts from a nice, light linen (I like using the 3.5 oz.
stuff from fabrics-store.com).  If you can't afford linen, go with light
cottons.  Stay away from artificial fibers--they tend to hold heat in, and
don't let you sweat.
--Maire