[Artemisia] Because you can can can!

Megen/Phoebe hlmegen at yahoo.com
Thu May 24 11:34:39 CDT 2007

I have done a few cane dances with Zahirah (go figure) and they were a lot of fun.  Your class sounds like a good one to take.  I have seen fan dances done with large peacock feathers (and other assortments) and they can be really wonderful.  I don't know how period that may or may not be, but it's cool none the less.

  Megen
  (who has given up trying to document and prove different middle eastern dance type things)

Reuben and Arwen <reuben_arwen at yahoo.com> wrote:
  How about a gold ensemble with green and red accents- I can be the Egyptian mexi-corn can dancer!
I have 14 canes right now- eek! I should be down to four by Uprising, so I'll have two or three loner canes with me. If we get tons of people we'll just switch off. Dahlal International has modern metallic foil wrapped ones for $10 in gold or silver. For SCA/folk dance I like the natural uncovered bamboo or rattan. Good news is a thin (finger sized) piece of rattan about a yard long is perfect. Your cane doesn't have to have a hook at the end. Hooked canes are more for Baladi style and the straight ones are for Saidi. In a pinch a light piece of dowel will do for practice. Don't try a medical cane, they are way to heavy, not to mention look goofy as heck. ;)

I am clueless about fan dance, never tried it. No Isis wings or shamadan either :( More things to add to my to do list...

I'm getting rid of most of my harem style pants for mundane BD. They make me look like a garden gnome. I have one more pair to go if anyone wants them for $5. Esther

I WAS sort of wondering if it was related to the can can.
Will you have canes there to lend or do interested participants need
to bring their own? I have a sword (albeit not the enormous,
dangerous-looking, Zahirah style scimitar I wish I had), a couple
sets of finger cymbals (they're even Zills), various sizes and shapes
of fans, and a ton of veils. I even have two doumbeks I can hardly
play. But I haven't a cane to my name. It's very tragic.
Belladonna