[Artemisia] Re:because you can can can!

Stephanae Baker stephanae at countryrhoades.net
Fri May 25 02:03:48 CDT 2007

I'm afraid I can't recommend a technique video. I was a very lazy
belly dancer, and I always relied on my teachers or troupe mates to
find cool things and show them to me. I didn't even care very much if
they were authentic as long as they looked good. It's kind of strange
and unlike me since I'm a compulsive googler when anything piques my
interest, but when it came to belly dance, I didn't do my research.
Sometimes I think it's because, while I love dancing, it also makes
me very sad. But I won't bore you with that story.

As far as fans being period, my (wild) guess would certainly be no.
They definitely seem like the sort of prop that some Egyptian or
Turkish cabaret dancer probably decided to pick up at some point.
Again, I have to guess. Not only did I not do my research when I was
still dancing seriously, but I stopped dancing seriously before I
became part of the SCA—not that the occasional fireside dance or
hafla hasn't been fun. I've only recently entertained the notion of
picking it back up again, and I'm not entirely sure I'll be able to
cross over to dance that would fit in SCA. I kind of like cabaret.

Ha! I can't say I've ever attended an Egyptian wedding with a zeffa
in Ogden, UT, either. Although I've seen a shamadan dance or two at
Kismet's belly dance fest. I do think I have a half memory of
watching a snippet of video of men's Saidi stick dance, too.

Belladonna