[Artemisia] Smelting Iron at Uprising

Catherine Helm-Clark no1home at onewest.net
Fri May 25 14:38:49 CDT 2007

Greetings all and sundry!

Last year, Hachooo Braden and Mst Maire proposed a challenge to the
Order of the Laurel.  The challenge is for each member of the order
to bring something to Uprising that is representative of those crafts
in which we have expertise.  One of the goals of this challenge is to
encourage and engage the populace in their own endeavors.

A lot of what we do in the SCA is to make finished goods like
clothes, food, armour, etc.  Now I do some of that, especially
scribal arts and leatherwork.  Some of my best stuff, however,
doesn't fall into the "finished goods" categories because what I do
is make the stuff that finished goods are made of.  For the lack of a
better word, I've always called this endeavor "Medieval Material
Science.  I find the raw materials and turn them into useable
materials.  The problem with this, as I see it, is that medieval
material science seldom turns out a final product that has any
"flash" quality.  Frankly, not a lot of folks will appreciate
something like a black and brown slaggy blob of weird-looking rock-
like stuff, which is what an iron bloom looks like right out of the
furnace.  Nor do a lot of folks even get to see the cool-looking
insides of such a blob - something that I've been privileged to see
since I cut up one of the first blooms from the Pennsic iron smelting
group back in 1994 (the insides actually showed the grain structure
of the iron after I cut and polished a wedge out of the bloom).

So I got to thinking and realized that a lot of the fun of medieval
material science is actually doing it.  It's the process that engages
people more often than the end results.  To wit, I decided to present
the process of making a material as my response to the laurels'
challenge - and so I am coordinating the construction of a bloomery
at Uprising.  A bloomery is a type of furnace with which you can
smelt iron. The blob of slag and iron that comes out of a bloomery is
called a bloom (I have no idea why it's called that).  The bloom is
heated and pounded to force the slag out.  The final product of this
process is wrought iron.

We'll be firing the bloomery and smelting iron in it on Wednesday of
Uprising.  Come by and visit.

ttfn
Therasia, metal geek