[Artemisia] socks

Sue Clemenger mooncat at in-tch.com
Fri May 25 20:26:24 CDT 2007

Cotton socks existed within the SCA time period, yes, but not made out of a
cotton that you would crochet with.  They were all Islamic, IIRC, but came
in wonderful color patterns--white and shades of blue when done in cotton,
and multiple colors when done in wool.
There's a Historic Knit list that's a yahoo group, for anyone who's
interested, and there are all kinds of stuff in the archives there.
One of my favorite (SCA) websites is this one:
http://home.earthlink.net/~lilinah/index.html
All things Islamic, it is, including a section in which she talks about her
different experiments knitting period-style socks.  The owner of the website
is also list-mom for Historic Knits.
The earliest-known written patterns for socks were done in the 17th century.
If you're referring (in your question) to patterns as designs, then yes,
they are appropriate in certain times and places.  There are some amazing
and colorful Islamic socks, and there are, as well, some amazing pieces of
patterned knitting in late 16th century Europe.  What you don't see much of
is designs and patterning done with what we now call "lace" stitches.  The
Eleanor of Toledo stockings (mid-16th century) are actually one of the very
first examples of the very, very beginnings of using lace stitches (show up
in the cuff).
Some medieval and renaissance knitting is knit at a coarser gauge, but I'm
pretty sure that all of the stockings are finer gauge.  You'd probably need
to use fine-gauge (metal) knitting needles and a fine yarn for those--wool,
or silk.
Most of the knitting I do is actually mundane, and you can use just about
anything, there.  My favorite sock needles are either bamboo or ebony.
Favored sock yarns are usually 100% wool, or a wool/nylon blend. I've also
got some that's a wool/mohair blend.  I buy it at my local yarn stores, and
online....
--Maire