[Artemisia] In Praise of Play

Reuben and Arwen reuben_arwen at yahoo.com
Sat Nov 3 01:24:35 CDT 2007

Maybe groups who have a lot of members can afford to have people who just "play", but for areas with small populations, and a high poverty level it's a continual struggle.  If we didn't have a *very* small core group that could afford memberships and fill the minimum offices by continuous rotation, our shire would have folded long ago.  If the minimum offices are not filled there is no shire to play in.  Most of our members can't afford to play outside of our group, not because they don't want to, but because sometimes it comes down to buying groceries or going to an event.  There has been times where we've hung on by the skin of our teeth; only the minimum three offices filled and they're the only people at business meetings.  Thank heavens we've gotten past that awful phase and are finally on an upswing again!  Play?  Sometimes we just don't have that option.  This is not aimed at provoking anyone, it's a sad reality in some areas.  Esther

"You can't have only one side of the coin."
Godwin