[Artemisia] Awards, was Re: Fabric Stores in Loch Salann?

Conchobhar mac Michil connor.mac.michil at gmail.com
Fri Nov 16 15:23:41 CST 2007

Dan Lind wrote:
> On 11/16/07, Angela Zentz <allegretza at yahoo.com> wrote:
>
>> Please forgive a relative newbie here...but what exactly is the difference
>> between a Grant of Arms and and Award of Arms?  I am guessing that it is an
>> important difference.
>>
>> Allegretza
>>

> Dear Allegretza,
>
> Thank you so much for asking.  I for one, truly appreciate your desire to
> understand.  Our
> ranking system is rather complex and is not very period.  By way of answer,
> there are essentially four non-landed noble ranks within the SCA.
>
> 1
> m'Lord/m'Lady
>                   no
> arms awards

M'lord (milord/my lord)/m'lady (milday/my lady) are *not* titles. Not,
not, not, not, not, not, not, not titles. Not at all.  And it's
perfectly acceptable to use the form of address "M'lord, you seem to be
standing on my foot." to anyone whose name/title/whatever you don't
know.  Doesn't matter if they are at their first day in the SCA or a
Duke 10 times over.  M'lord/lady are *not* titles. [Anyone want to guess
what one of my pet peeves is...].
> 2
> Lord/Lady
>                      Award
> of Arms
> 3 Honorable Lord/Honorable
> Lady                                                    Grant of Arms

Used as a distinction only pretty much.  Officially, those persons with
a Grant of Arms are Lord/Lady.  The 'Honorable' tradition probably arose
out of someone feeling a bit more special about themselves.
> 4 Sir/Dame/Master/Mistress/Court Baron/Court Baroness/ex-royalty  Patent of
> Arms

Court Baronages (whether by being a former Territorial Baronage, or just
by Royal fiat) do not carry Patents of Arms, indeed, they need not carry
even an Award of Arms.  They do carry the right to wear a shiny hat.
Only the Patent Peerages (Chivalry, Laurel, Pelican) are required to
carry a PoA and the Royal Peerages (Count/ess, Duke/Duchess,
Viscount/ess) and the Lady of the Rose *may* carry a PoA at the
discretion of Kingdom Law.
> This becomes much more complex when you add in the landed ranks and try to
> figure out who has precedence over who.  I find it's is best to simply be
> courteous to everyone.  As a rule of thumb: 1) no crown = call them
> Lord/Lady
So far so good.
> 2) crown + no bowing = Call them your Excellency 3) crown + bowing
> = call them your Majesty.
Kids these days, no respect I tell ya...  :)  Bowing is appropriate
respect for any of the royalty (<- little 'r' - Baronage, Crown, Crown
Heirs, darn near everyone with a shiny hat walking around).

A better guide is 2) small to medium sized shiny hat, Your Excellency 3)
big honkin' shiny hat, Your Majesty.  The only people you might "under
title" that way are the Dukes and Duchesses, though all of them are also
Excellencies as well as Graces.
>  If you are wrong they will probably correct you
> politely.

Well, in Artemisia at least. I usually correct people to 'just say
Connor and save us all some time'.
> Any person may advance from one level to another in each of three ways:
> Chivalry, Arts & Science, and Service.  There are other ways to advance as
> well, but these are the core.

It's not the BSA, and there's no 'advancement requirements'.  One is
recognized for their achievements, skill, etc.  It is theoretically
possible for a new person to show up to their first event tomorrow and
be made a Knight without ever getting any other fighting awards, AoA,
GoA, etc.  It's not going to happen, but it could.
> If you say someone has an award who does not, that person will likely be
> complemented, but those who do have that award might take offence.  For
> example, I am a proud member of the Order of the Gryphon's Pride.  If I knew
> someone who I felt was unworthy of joining that specific Order being praised
> as if he or she was a member of it, I would feel compelled to correct the
> person giving the praise.  Luckily, I am not aware of any SCA person who I
> would call unworthy of praise.

Only because you haven't met me.  :)
> Thanks again for desiring to know.
>

> m'Lord Christian

The Honorable Lord Conchobhar mac Michil, sometimes acting like a herald
and teacher