[Artemisia] SCA Vehicles

vindulfr at aol.com vindulfr at aol.com
Wed Oct 3 23:37:35 CDT 2007

For the past 13 years, my 1995 Dodge Caravan has been my trusty steed. I bought it with 200 miles on it in '94, and it has faithfully carried me all these years. Removing one back seat allows me to carry a fair bit of cargo. Removing both of them allows me to carry a LOT of cargo, and gives me an 'emergency pavillion' that doesn't leak. (I've slept in the old girl more than once in the rains of An Tir, and awoke dry and comfy.) Mileage hovers in the 23-24 mpg range. She's been all through An Tir, down to northern California, up to Lake Okanagan in BC, and even to Pennsylvania, with no more than casual maintainence and tires. When I moved back to Montana, she hauled me, my dog, my parrot, and an 8 foot trailer with no complaints.

The downside for you may be no manual transmission. Please note that the newer models don't seem to have the same amount of headroom and usable interior space as my comfy old box on wheels.

Before that, my mainstay tourney vehicle for many years was my late lamented old VW bus, which took me all over the western US, albeit not very fast.

Baron Haakon Haukarson

A big fan of the box on wheels for SCA purposes

Attached Message

Dan Lind <darthnapster at gmail.com>

[Artemisia] SCA vehicles

Wed, 3 Oct 2007 14:29:34 -0600

Hi all,
I'm sending out a call for knowledge and experience.  My car gave up the
host last week (you should see the other guys car), so I need a new one.
ince this is the first time I've looked for a car with the SCA in mind, I'd
ike to get some advice.  What vehicles have worked well in the past?  Which
nes suck?  What features are most useful?  For reference sake, I'm thinking
bout getting a wagon, something like an Outback or a Protege 5.  So far I
ave found a manual transmission to be a much better option for my driving
tyle. So if any of you have ideas for me I would greatly appreciate them.
nd if any of you see a vehicle that just screams to be among the group
f Artemisian iron steeds, let me know.  I'm located on the border of Utah
nd Idaho if that helps.
Thanks all,
Christian
--