[Artemisia] SCA Vehicles

Bruce Padget bapadget at pop.mail.yahoo.com
Thu Oct 4 04:57:44 CDT 2007

The charming Beladonna gently urged:

> Niccolo!
>
> Are you out there? I want you to weigh in about your oh so cool Scion
> here! That was a great ride.

Your wish is my command...

For two, a Scion xB (the box) is a wonderful war wagon, and it's a good
day-trip vehicle for up to four adults.  (Four people of my size fit
comfortably, with very good trunk space.)  Real-world fuel mileage is
31-32 with automatic and my lead foot.  Interior space is positively
trans-dimensional, particularly with the rear seats folded.  Maryam and
I have gone to several camping events in it with no sacrifice of
comfort.

It doesn't hurt that it has an entry-level price.  I've yet to find a
car I like driving more, and I've driven many that are worse for more
money.  Mechanically, it's a Toyota Echo - i.e., bombproof.

The down sides for SCA use are somewhat low ground clearance, and
limited weight capacity. (900 lbs)

One strong piece of advice for war wagons is to find out the rated
weight-carrying capacity.  Regularly loading over at or near rated
weight significantly shortens car life.  For the xB, while four of me
can sit in it, three of me goes over its weight limit.  You should be
able to find a vehicle's weight limit on the manufacturer's web site.
If a manufacturer doesn't publish a model's weight limit, I wouldn't
consider it as a war wagon.

By the by, we've never come close to maxing out the weight, even with a
fairly decadent camp.  When we select gear, we do have to pay a bit more
attention to packing space.

The newest xBs have slightly altered styling.  I don't think it changes
the interior spaice, but I cannot say for certain.

Regards,
Niccolo
bapadget at yahoo.com