[Artemisia] VOLUNTEERING AT ESTRELLA WAR XXIV: The FAQs

mattkatie2 mattkatie2 at cox.net
Sun Oct 14 10:26:09 CDT 2007

VOLUNTEERING AT ESTRELLA WAR XXIV - FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS (FAQS)

1. CAN I TAKE MY CHILD WITH ME ON MY VOLUNTEER SHIFT?

Yes and No.  Many factors determine whether this is possible, including the
age of the child, the duties assigned, the time of day you volunteer, and
more.  It is best to contact the person coordinating the department where
you wish to volunteer in advance and consult with them.  This can be done by
email before the event (see the STAFF list page of the website for contact
information), or you can take your question to Volunteer Point after you
arrive at the event.

2. CAN MY YOUTH (9 TO 17 YEARS OF AGE) VOLUNTEER, AND IF SO WHERE?

This depends on a number of things, and the policy may change before war.
At the time of this writing (September, 2007), youth volunteers are welcome
to assist in some areas, with the understanding that there are restrictions
on both the age for some duties, and the actual tasks youth volunteers may
be assigned. It is best to contact the department you wish to volunteer for
in advance and consult with them.   As a general rule, youth can volunteer
if they work along with their parent /legal guardian. Unaccompanied youth
may not work in an enclosed tent (defined as having sides and door) unless
accompanied by at least two unrelated adults and/or have their
parent/guardian present.

3. I UNDERSTAND THAT I GET TO DESIGNATE THE NAME OF AN OFFICIAL SCA GROUP
(KINGDOM, BARONY, SHIRE, CANTON, ETC.) TO RECEIVE CREDIT (VOLUNTEER DOLLARS)
FOR THE VOLUNTEER HOURS I WORK AT THE EVENT. CAN I SPLIT MY HOURS BETWEEN
TWO DIFFERENT GROUPS?

Yes, you can.  You can sign in twice at the place you work, and indicate the
portion of your hours to credit to each group.  You will be asked to record
your hours and designate the group to receive credit at the location where
you volunteered. At the same time, you will also be offered a Volunteer
Raffle Voucher to take to Volunteer Point if you wish to participate in the
Volunteer Raffle.

4. CAN I CREDIT MY HOURS TO MY HOUSEHOLD, SO THEY RECEIVE THE VOLUNTEER
DOLLARS?

No. Only official SCA groups (Kingdom, Barony, Shire, Canton, etc.) may be
designated to receive volunteer dollars for your work.

5. CAN I GIVE MY VOLUNTEER RAFFLE VOUCHER FOR THE RAFFLE TO SOMEONE ELSE?

Yes. You may give your voucher to anyone you choose (perhaps that kind
person who made your breakfast).  Just remember that the Volunteer Raffle
Voucher must be taken to Volunteer Point to participate in the raffle.

ESTRELLA WAR XXIV IS AN ALL VOLUNTEER RUN EVENT!  SO EVERYONE’S HELP IS
NEEDED!

Everyone attending Estrella War XXIV is encouraged to volunteer (and
everyone’s help is needed!). To sign up to volunteer, or to sign up a family
or group of your friends to volunteer together, email the Volunteer
Coordinators (THL Eden Blacksmith and her deputy, Mistress Meadhbh ní
Dhubhthaigh) at volunteer08 at estrellawar.org, or see the volunteering page of
the Estrella War website (www.estrellawar.org).