[Artemisia] Gender Bending Barons

Stephanae Baker stephanae at countryrhoades.net
Thu Sep 6 00:29:30 CDT 2007

Marco dei Caprioli wrote:

> Please do feel free to pipe up, but am I the only one who thinks this
> is a ludicrious convolution?

I find many things about these laws ludicrous, but this scenario is
not one of them.

> Why would a couple both transvest for the
> sake of a hat?

The hats would have nothing to do with such a couple's reasons for
transvesting. After all, if one earned the crown, they could have the
hats without playing across genders.

> It's absurd.

Transvestitism and transgendering probably often strikes even
transvestites and the transgendered as absurd, but I'm not sure they
actually are absurd. I am reasonably sure no one wants to hear me
ramble about the etymology, denotation, and connotations of the word
absurd.

> It is perfectly within the bylaws of the
> SCA for a woman to rule in her own right without subjecting herself or
> her consort to such masquerade.

A woman's right to rule as a woman has no more to do with it than the
hat does. That's hardly the point.

Finally, I'd say masquerade is something most of us in the SCA choose
willingly--not something we subject ourselves to.

Belladonna