[Artemisia] Every newsletter should have an event just like this one... (apologies to Spamalot)

Cat Clark cat at rocks4brains.com
Mon Sep 10 18:27:32 CDT 2007

Mistress Sister Wanda from Oleo just rang me up and asked me to post
this as a last minute event reminder for the folks over there in the new
shire in Meadow Vole.  Sister Wanda wants everyone to know that stories
of the damage that the wildfire did are not anywhere near as bad as the
news reports have led everyone to believe.

ttfn
Therasia's Evil Twin
<irresponsible humorous incipient post warning>

September 13-15, 2007

The Shire of Grand Phenwykc presents:

SEKIGAHARA-FU!

A Grand Event to Celebrate the 400th Anniversary of the Battle of
Sekigahara

Leave those shields at home! All proud followers of the Tokugawa Baikufu
will gather on September 15 – 13 at the Emma Fielding Young Campground
in the Curfew National Grassland to celebrate the triumph of Edo over
Osaka at the Battle of Sekigahara 400 (and a few) years ago. Heavy
fighting activities will include a Japanese style pas-de-armes
(wakasashis at the barrier!) complete with Helmschau (Japanese helmets
only please); single-sword and naginata resurrection melees to
commemerate the Tokugawa vicitory at Sekigahara, and a broken field
battle (single sword, naginata and combat archery) on the realistic
battlefield on the firescar from this June's 60,000 acre Jackpot-East
wildfire in adjacent Jarbidge-Oakley National Forest. This battle
promises one of the most realistic settings for an SCA battle ever
available, complete with still smoldering stands of blackened trees and
charred desolate ground completely in keeping with the destruction of
the Sekigahara Plain after part of the batttlefield was set ablaze by
the Hojo Handgun Troops.

For the rapier fighters out there, we plan a full day Saturday of melees
and a tourney of the roses. Leave your weapons at home since all light
fighting activities will be with shinais (provided at the site) to keep
in keeping with our Nipponese theme.

The Box Elder County West Bowman have graciously lent us the use of
their field archery range a short mile and a half from the campground,
where we will have a roaming field archery target archery tourney on a
Japanese theme (44 inch or longer arrows only). We do need more archery
marshals to escort archery parties through the field course – please
call Master Master His Lordship Robert the Misplaced to volunteer (there
is elk jerkie from Robert's 700 lbs elk he bowhunted last year and also
22 inch oxford cedar arrow blanks for all archery marshals who help
out). We will award bonus points in the archery competition to everyone
who brings their own silk bowstrings made on a kumihimo. The first place
prize for archery is a kyudo-style bow, donated by Daimyo Sasaki
Kojiro-sama of the neighboring incipient West Kingdom Province of
Palisades Keep (Elko/Wells/Steptoe NV) which is attending in force along
with the Province of Slivered Dessert (Pershing & Humboldt Co., NV) at
our event (as the Osaka - aka western - side at the battle of
Sekigahara)

Bring your own kneeling mats, chop sticks and sake saucers for a
fabulous feast fit for a Fujiwara at Hojo's! (sorry – we couldn't resist
that one...) Prepaid reservations are highly encouraged, limited to 50
feasters. The menu includes your own bento box full of elk jerkie
sashimi, barbarkew-fu pulled buta (pork), uagi risotto, midori beans
with dressing, Shaolin lemon rice, herb rice cakes, deviled tamagu
nigiri (deviled eggs on rice), and fresh Bonneville Cutthroat Fugu Trout
Shabu Shabu (buffet style only – we only have one big pot: see cooking
restrictions, below). Drinks will include Mango Bopo and green ginsing
ice tea. Feast is $8, send reservations to Hojo's Feast c/o Juan Valdez
Ramirez (Sasaki Kajiro), 504 Cerro Vista Way, West Contact, NV 89825,
702-555-1212.  Checks should be made out to "Shire of Grand Phenwykc-
SCA Inc."

Curfew National Grassland as well as the rest of western-most Box Elder
County and adjacent Cassia Co. (Idaho) and Elko Co. (Nevada) are still
under strict fire restrictions. No fires or flame-powered lights or
lanterns whatsoever are allowed in the campground or adjacent areas.
Please bring flashlights or electric lights only for lighting.
Generators and enclosed propane camping stoves are allowed on a case by
case basis. The staff of Curfew National Grassland will be on site from
6 to 10 pm Friday and from 8 am to 8 pm Saturday to inspect and approve
any generators and cookstoves you want to use on site – NO EXCEPTIONS.
Violators of the fire restrictions will be evicted (no refund) after
they are arrested by the federal rangers. The lake at the campground is
open for swimming – at your own risk (separate waiver required) though
complementary lifeguard services are being provided by the St. Jude High
School Life Guard Scuba Club Swim Team on Saturday – donations
greatfully accepted for the upcoming school year).

There are 12 full hook-up RV spaces at the campground – call the Curfew
National Grassland office in Meadow Vole, ID to make reservations (NOT
available on a drive-in basis). There are no shade trees left in the
area so please remember to bring a sunshade.  There is plenty of botable
water onsite. Autocrat: Sister Wanda Marianni (Mistress Merriweather
Schneesturm), St. Jude High School, Oleo, Idaho, 83399, email:
sisterwanda at rocks4brains.com, phone: 208-767-2676 (Please no call
between 8 am and 3 pm, 6 pm to 8 pm or after 10 pm).