[Artemisia] Fw: [MARSHALL] Pennsic Ruling (Combat Archery)

Bartholomew Hightower bartholomew at coteduciel.org
Mon Aug 11 16:49:16 CDT 2008

*How this will affect us:*

First and foremost, I expect there to be no complaining about this. The
modifications are not drastic, and should not require major rebuilds of
arrows. As Ryryd recently put it to me: "This one is so simple it hardly
needs a moment of thought: I absolutely, positively will not sacrifice
another person's eye for my convenience."

We have three types of arrows that are allowed in Artemisia, with a
couple of blunt variations.

*Fellwalker bolts:*

We have a lot of Fellwalker bolts in the kingdom. This ruling
effectively brings other types of arrow blunts into the same specs as
Fellwalkers w.r.t. side wrap; HOWEVER, the previous spec for Fellwalkers
called for a face of 1-3/8", including the side wrap. The new spec calls
for a 1.5" front face. Most of our Fellwalkers should be fine, /but if
your heads are on the slim side of the previous spec (I'm thinking Ely's
bolts), you will need to add additional side wrap./

*Siloflex tube arrows/bolts:*

There are two variants. The first variant uses a tennis ball blunt.
These arrows and bolts are unaffected by the new ruling.

The second variant uses a rubber stopper in the end of the siloflex
tube, tipped with foam padding. This is precisely the type of arrow that
caused problems at Pennsic. We have at least one set of these arrows in
the Kingdom (Countess Isabel's). T/hese arrows will need to add the side
wraps described in the ruling, and will need to comply with the max 1"
thick padding on the face./

*Shafted arrows:*

There are two variants of these arrows in the kingdom. The first uses a
"heavy" UHMW head with padding and side wrap, in effect, a Fellwalker
blunt on a shafted arrow. As long as the face is at or over 1.5"
diameter, these should be fine. However, as far as I know, /nobody in
the kingdom is using these/.

The second variant uses a 1" long, 1.25" diameter UHMW blunt faced with
1" resilient foam padding. Most of our bow archers are currently using
arrows of this type (Ryryd, Caz, et al). /These arrows MUST be
retrofitted with side wraps, and now have a max 1" thickness on padding./

*Fletching:*

Our current CA rules call for fletching no greater than 1/2", so
everyone should be fine there. I don't have any Asgard APDs in my kit,
but I believe they should be fine as well, as long as they are not
deformed, which can happen if the APD is stepped on. /Still, everyone,
you need to go through your set of arrows to make sure you are in
compliance with this regulation./

*How to add side wraps to blunts:*

The method I recommend is to use two layers of adhesive "Foamie" craft
foam (available at WalMart in the craft section), applied around the
blunt from the tip and extending back to the back of the blunt, secured
with strapping tape. I personally developed this method for Fellwalkers,
and it has become the SCA gold standard for building these beasts. I
encourage you to take a look at my Fellwalker construction page which
details this method, complete with photos, which is located at
http://www.cs.usu.edu/~watson/artemisiaca/fellwalkerHow.htm
<http://www.cs.usu.edu/%7Ewatson/artemisiaca/fellwalkerHow.htm> .

I'll be updating the Artemisia Combat Archery page with this
information, which is located at
http://www.cs.usu.edu/~watson/artemisiaca/
<http://www.cs.usu.edu/%7Ewatson/artemisiaca/> .

More information is available on Artemisia Militaris, at
http://www.artemisiamilitaris.org/forums/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=871 .

--
Bartholomew Hightower, OP, KSCA