[Artemisia] Four Dons walk onto a battlefield...

Marten van Rosenveldt kendofencer at yahoo.com
Mon Feb 11 12:45:23 CST 2008

Thanks,

You've made my points for me.

See, I've introduced Castiglione into a fighting thread.....all the not so fortunate and well read cadets and fencers and others in the Kingdom are now scurrying to the web.....Research is a good thing.

As to the pose, it's the contrapposto.  See Michealgelo's David, Donatello's David, and......John Wayne in the Searchers.

Finally, stesso tempo is the ultimate stroke, lo botto secrete as they used to say.  M. Guillaume is the master of this.

Perhaps the hardest of all these concepts of timing to explain and perform, but also perhaps the most elegant and effective, is the concept of "stesso tempo," in which defense and offense become one. Because of its relative slowness, a "dui tempi" response to an attack with the rapier would take an impractically long time, allowing the opponent time to perform a counter. Therefore, historical masters such as Fabris advised fencers of early modern era to defend themselves and wound the adversary "in stesso tempo" with an intercepting attack, an action both defensive and offensive. One way to do this with the single rapier is to catch the opponent's thrust in such a manner that the point is diverted with the portion of one's own rapier nearest the guard, while one's own point was directed against the adversary's target. One's own target, meanwhile, is further removed from danger with an evasive body movement. This is a technique that requires a sure sense
 of distance and timing, as well as a mastery of technique, great sensitivity, and a sure hand.

YIS, Marten; contrappostoing, effortlessly