[Artemisia] Fencing pedagogy.... was Actual learning ... was 4 Dons

Jason Mohler darkside at bresnan.net
Tue Feb 12 11:26:59 CST 2008

On Tue, 12 Feb 2008 08:16:34 -0800 (PST)
  Marten van Rosenveldt <kendofencer at yahoo.com> wrote:
> So my question to my fellow fencers is: what is the proper (or at least
>your) pedagogical approach to teaching fencing, SCA style?  Start with the
>parry riposte (dui tempi was known in the 1400-1600) or go right to more
>modern stuff?  My thought is that the equipment dictates the technique.  If
>you are using a period rapier simulator then the weapon has so much inertia
>that the parry riposte become more difficult.  If you are using lighter
>blades (and I include schlager/small swords amongst these) then the dui tempi
>game becomes more possible.
>
> Both should be taught.  Not sure of the order though.  And always, footwork,
>footwork, footwork.

I start out with the basic Zorro school of fencing (take the pointy end and
stick it in 'em) and build from there.  Once I can get them past any aversion
to poking at people, I try to teach several aspects at the same time -
footwork, accuracy (in both targeting and strength), parries, parry as you
attack, and parry after you attack.  Once they get the basics, I stop going
off of a standard lesson plan and start focusing on whatever areas need the
most work.

Matheus