[Artemisia] Fencing pedagogy.... was Actual learning ... was4 Dons

KyneWynn kynewynn at sfcn.org
Tue Feb 12 15:46:03 CST 2008

Subject: Re: [Artemisia] Fencing pedagogy.... was Actual learning ... was4
Dons

>   Marten van Rosenveldt <kendofencer at yahoo.com> wrote:
> > So my question to my fellow fencers is: what is the proper (or at least
> >your) pedagogical approach to teaching fencing, SCA style?

In a nutshell:

I start off with three rules.

1. Fight with honor and an attitude of safety.

2. Learn something from every encounter.

3. Have fun, i.e. don't worry about winning -- learning is the important
thing, and with proper learning and practice, the skills necessary for
winning will come.

For beginners, I stress footwork, balance, distance, and point control. I
also teach attack and parry/counter-attack in conjunction with each other
from a variety of wards--thus ingraining an effective response in muscle
memory for the rapidly changing dance that is rapier fighting.

That is the brief answer. :)

Dona KyneWynn