[Artemisia] arts and sciences

Reuben and Arwen reuben_arwen at yahoo.com
Thu Feb 21 00:27:18 CST 2008

I know this subject has been beaten to death in some circles, but I think it's an important  open ended discussion.

  What is art?
  What is a science?
  Does art have to be beautiful?  Emotional?  Have good technique?  Be spiritual?
  Does science have to be useful?
  Does complexity of a piece always add to it's merit?
  What if the historically accurate way is more simple, ugly, or doesn't meet modern aesthetics?
  Can things be both an art and a science?
  Do quality materials automatically make something better?
  Who is more important, the artist or the viewer?
  Can something be art to one person, but not another?
  Is there a difference between fine art, crafts, and sciences?
  Can art be judged or only the technique of an art?
  Is emotional content and aesthetics in art more important than documentation or execution?
  Does science have to be proved correct to have value?
  How creative can an Arts and Sciences project be before it is OOP in scope?
  Is everything we research in the SCA automatically a science because it is "social science" and history based?
  Is there a difference between what we think about these issues today and what our personas would have thought?  What makes you think so?

  I can hear the crickets already...  Esther