[Artemisia] Arts and Science Questions

L.J. Richards richardslj at bresnan.net
Fri Feb 22 09:55:01 CST 2008

Caryn, you are so right about the paints - especially watercolor paints.
They start with "student" quality which is the cheapest.  They do not have
the longevity, durability, or that "luminous" quality you want.  Buy the
best paints (watercolor, oil or acrylic) that you can afford, even if you
are just starting.  The cheap watercolor paints are chalky, more difficult
to work with, and look flat.

And slightly off-subject -- please, don't frame your scrolls directly to the
glass!  They will stick over time and adhere themselves in varying degrees
to the glass.  Then, if it's really valuable and important to you, I can
find you a paintings and/or paper conservator that will gladly fix it for
you for only $75-$150 / hour (or more).  I won't list all they do, takes too
much time, but trust me they are earning every penny of your money (it takes
a lot of time to free it and 'fix' it).  It's just you don't have to spend
that if you mat (sometimes you need to double or triple mat) your scroll so
that none of it touches the glass.  (And for those really wonderful scrolls
use acid-free/lignen-free matboard.)  (If that's too expensive there are
other ways but that's another time and place.)

YIS,
Bronwen of Irenwold
(who in her other life is a curator)