[Artemisia] arts and sciences

Michele Wolf mwolf at telemetric.net
Fri Feb 22 10:45:26 CST 2008

I'm just glad that we aren't one of the Kingdoms that makes any sort of differentiation between the arts and the sciences (i.e. different awards, categories, etc).  I've heard such distinctions as process vs. product and "If you drop it on your foot and it hurts then it's a science." but the fact is that there is no good distinction between the two and that much "science" goes into an "art" and there is "art" to many "sciences".

For instance, a scribe creating a beautiful illumination (manuscript arts - art) who wants to try mixing his/her own pigments (alchemy - science).  Or a costumer creating a belt (Costuming accessories - art) who tools the leather (leatherwork - science?) and casts the buckle (metal casting - science).  This gets absolutely ridiculous when a competition guidelines require X art entries and Y science entries.

I can't find the source, but someone (in this whole debate) found a medieval definition of the term "art" and it was something along the lines of An activity that can be repeated again and again to achieve the same results.  To my modern mind, that is almost a word for word explanation of science (or one of its many aspects!).

I like the functional vs. beautiful debate.. But I think that, for my part, the best idea is to simply ignore the art vs. science division completely.  The only time a valid argument needed the attention of art vs. science (that I've been a part of) was to make sure and appreciate the qualities of a good "sciencey" work even though it was smelly and not altogether pretty.  It is important to realize that good medieval research and re-creation doesn't always lead to Elizabethan embroidered garments.. Sometimes it leads to tallow soap!  ...which is pretty gross, both process and product, but still worthy of much praise.

Giliana