[Artemisia] Arts and Science Questions

Lord Godwin FitzGilbert de Strigoil archergodwin at cableone.net
Fri Feb 22 16:54:41 CST 2008

snip-

>And yes, in answer to another of the questions, I consider the audience and
>viewers to be artisans in their own right and vital to the arts and science
>endeavor.  If not for those who will view, listen, eat, wear, use and
>appreciate the works done and/or performed, the purpose of the endeavor would
cease
>to exist.  One could even argue that the audience is the most  important part
>of the experience.  (this one would not so argue as I think  that they are
>either equal or weighted slightly towards the artisan who might  continue to
>create alone and without any critique in the true sense of the  word.  But such an
>argument "could" be made)
>
>OK   rambled enough   back to mumbling over a hot  keyboard.
>

>Mistress Constance de la Rose, OL
>Barony of Loch  Salann
>Kingdom of  Artemisia

I beg to differ dear lady, and agree mostly with your last sentence in parenth.

In my own heart, my art and my science need no audience, save myself. For truly
no other person will be as moved by my creation as my own person. Conceit does
not play a role here, but pure appreciation.

For who knows in the audience that is viewing a clout or wand or quintain shoot,
which of those archers made every piece of their own equipment. Neither is it
usually asked, but except as maybe a passing comment.... and is it a real concern
of the audience? Usually not, lest they be archers also.

I do not state all this for the beating of my own chest, or blowing of horn, but
of a passion for an art and a science that in my own heart, need no other
audience but me.

For me, art and science are inseparable in my chosen activity. You cannot have
one without the other, and both reside not only in the creation of the object,
but in it's use.

I do not believe that this topic is limited to the modern mindset either. It is
within the human mind, of all ages and times, to create. Take a look at
"futureistic" drawings of decades past: what was drawn in fantasy has been shown
to be valid in modern science. It is the function of a 'natural' mind to create
form and function that coexist with science.

... I think I'll go hug a tree now...... :)

Godwin