[Artemisia] arts and sciences (Godwin)

Reuben and Arwen reuben_arwen at yahoo.com
Fri Feb 22 17:03:48 CST 2008

  As much as I love and respect archery, please allow me to disagree in the general sense.  I wouldn't say there is an "art" to making archery work for you, rather there is a technique of adaptation for individual mastery.  Archery technique is based on the scientific principals of physics and body-mechanics.  For me, art must be an emotional communication between the artist and audience.  In archery the goal is accuracy which is scientifically measured and can be repeated.  You don't need an audience or emotion to do archery.  Perhaps the definition could be stretched to a craft.  Archery equipment can defiantly be art though.  Everyone is very welcome to disagree with me :)  Esther

> Can things be both an art and a science?

Yes.

Take archery for example. I strongly believe both art and science exist in
archery. The science of stored kinetic energy, the art of making it work for you
through practice and mastery.

Godwin