[Artemisia] arts and sciences (Godwin)

Michael Nelson nelsomik at yahoo.com
Fri Feb 22 18:22:34 CST 2008

There is art in archery in my opinion. In a shoot, one archer can step to
the line and basically work through the process of shooting (this is the
category I fall into). The form that is used is by the book and functional
but it is just shooting. Still, the center of the target is struck as
desired. The next archer steps up to the line and flows through the process
of drawing, aiming, firing, hitting the center of the target as if it was
one movement (this is the category I am striving for). The form that is used
in my opinion is a work of art. Both archers accomplished their goal of
hitting the target. One did it in the functional way while the other moved
it into the realm of art. Is this any different than the artist who spent
long hours perfecting his or her craft to add that special twist or addition
to their piece?

I personally love to watch someone shoot who flows through the process. It
inspires me to achieve greater skill and improve my art. At Estrella War I
was fortunate to watch an archer draw and fire nine arrows in thirty seconds
time with all of them hitting the target. That was one of the most
incredible performances I have ever seen. He stood on the far right of the
range, blocked from the spectators view, performing for no one but himself.
I just happened to see it because I was next in line to shoot at that spot.
There was no motion wasted, no extra effort taken, every shot was a
continuation of the previous one. That is art to me.

There are many archers who will tell you that six arrows in the gold at any
range is as beautiful to them (whether they put them there or not) as
anything that is on display at an art and sciences competition.

Remember, beauty (and art in my opinion) is in the eye of the beholder.

Yours in service,

Arthen ap Rhun

(Mikjall)