[Artemisia] arts and sciences (Godwin)

morgan wolf morganblaidddu at yahoo.com
Fri Feb 22 19:42:49 CST 2008

----- Original Message ----
From: Reuben and Arwen <reuben_arwen at yahoo.com>
To: artemisia at lists.gallowglass.org
Sent: Friday, February 22, 2008 4:03:48 PM
Subject: Re: [Artemisia] arts and sciences (Godwin)

  As much as I love and respect archery, please allow me to disagree in the general sense.  I wouldn't say there is an "art" to making archery work for you, rather there is a technique of adaptation for individual mastery.  Archery technique is based on the scientific principals of physics and body-mechanics.  For me, art must be an emotional communication between the artist and audience.  In archery the goal is accuracy which is scientifically measured and can be repeated.  You don't need an audience or emotion to do archery.  Perhaps the definition could be stretched to a craft.  Archery equipment can defiantly be art though.  Everyone is very welcome to disagree with me :)  Esther

Arwen my darling, as much as I love you, you are wrong- there is much art in archery, although I will agree much is craft as well.  Making basic arrows, as I do, is a craft, or science, but turning a chunk of wood into a beautiful bow is also art- not everyone can do it, or even learn it, and it is a beautiful thing, and teh artist invests tehmself into it.

Shooting is also, as Godwin pointed out, equally art and science/craft- most can learn the basic mechanics, but only those who are true artists can make the extremely difficult shots, or make it look so easy, just as there is art in Michael jordan's basketball, but only craft in his baseball, and there is craft when I fight (okay fought) heavy, but there is ART when Sean, or Alan, or Basil fight heavy.

'i Hurddas Morgan Blaidd Du

check out Morgan's Massively Medicated Meandering Musings! http://morganwolfblog.blogspot.com