[Artemisia] Arts and Science Questions

Lord Godwin FitzGilbert de Strigoil archergodwin at cableone.net
Sat Feb 23 15:08:25 CST 2008

>  As much as I love and respect archery, please allow me to disagree in the
general sense.  I wouldn't say there is an "art" to making archery work for you,
rather there is a technique of adaptation for individual mastery.  Archery
technique is based on the scientific principals of physics and body-mechanics.
For me, art must be an emotional communication between the artist and audience.
In archery the goal is accuracy which is scientifically measured and can be
repeated.  You don't need an audience or emotion to do archery.  Perhaps the
definition could be stretched to a craft.  Archery equipment can defiantly be art
though.  Everyone is very welcome to disagree with me :)  Esther

Oh, I don't expect anyone else to agree with my viewpoint either :)

However, the different views only make the point further, that indeed beauty is
in the eye of the beholder.

Esther, you state that
"In archery the goal is accuracy which is scientifically measured and can be
repeated."

Indeed, there are some archers that perform at this level and are perfectly fine
with that. For myself, the modern adaptation of archery that exists in the
olympic recurve or even moreso in the fully adorned compound bow, take the
scientific level of the equipment to a new level, while reducing the skill it
takes to wield it.

My level of art, is going back in time, when mastery of a scientific method WAS
an art. If everything was pure science or scientific method, then everybody
should be able to do it. That is not the case, and has been proven by the time
periods that we claim to do research on. There is a reason 'masters' took
students, as well as the existence of guilds.

Again, if archery equipment and the shooting of it, was only science - then
everybody should be able to shoot the gold with every shot from their very first
shot, and competitions would be extremely boring -  like modern day compound bow
competitions.

But you do bring up the term I did not include - on purpose, which is 'martial
art'. Is it not understood that the term 'martial art' refers to the constant
practice and refinement of "..... scientific principals of physics and
body-mechanics" ? However it has been recognized that the refinement of such
practice can be taken to an art form, hence the term 'martial art'. Yes that may
be a modern term, but those practices are centuries old.... just like archery. :)

Again, art (beauty) is in the eye of the beholder, and in some cases, in the eye
of the beholder that has more than a base understanding of what they are observing.

Agreeing to disagree :)

Godwin