[Artemisia] Arts and Science Questions

Lord Godwin FitzGilbert de Strigoil archergodwin at cableone.net
Sun Feb 24 12:00:44 CST 2008

On Sun Feb 24 10:17 , Michael the Loud  sent:

>> Indeed, there are some archers that perform at this
>> level and are perfectly fine with that. For myself,
>> the modern adaptation of archery that exists in the
>> olympic recurve or even moreso in the fully adorned
>> compound bow, take the scientific level of the
>> equipment to a new level, while reducing the skill
>> it takes to wield it.
>
>You are confusing accuracy with skill and then you are
>making a false assumption that using technology
>reduces skill.  Both these are bad assumptions.  The
>laws of physics applies to the modern archer just as
>much to the traditional archer and good shooting
>technique is good regardless of the type of bow you
>are shooting.
>
>Michael

No confusion at all Michael. I've seen it time and time again: a compound shooter
can pick up his bow after months of non-use, and still hit the gold circle, no
problem. A longbow shooter cannot so easily do that. It takes constant practice
and work to maintain the accuracy and strength needed to hold the same accuracy.
Even shooting my recurve is easier to pick back up after not shooting it for
months, than doing the same with my longbow, and I've had to do both over the
last year.

I said technology has reduced the amount of skill needed to wield the modern bow,
not eliminate it. No false assumptions there also. I said nothing about
technique, each bow style requires it's own, and your technique has to be good no
matter what you shoot.

It is just pure fact of the progress of technology: it reduces the amount of
skill required to attain and maintain a high level of prowess - on pretty much
anything.

So do people shoot arrows off their hand with a bare longbow in Olympic
competition?

Godwin