[Artemisia] New 14th Century book

vindulfr at aol.com vindulfr at aol.com
Wed Feb 27 19:51:59 CST 2008

His Grace Alan did take electronic quill in hand to opine:

If you're interested in the 14th Century (the one true Century!), and are interested in stepping up your understanding and presentation, this is a must have.?
?

Some of us are interested in the 14th Century the same way we look at at a horrid traffic accident. I
mean, what with famine in the early part, the Black Death in the middle, and the Hundred Years War
starting up, not to mention all sorts of religious schisms, heresies, etc, and climatic changes resulting
in crop failures and suffering all across Europe, it's not the best time in the SCA period to live.

Granted, one could probably find other nasty centuries in the period covered by the SCA, but for human
suffering on a large scale, the 14th is hard to beat.

Life in the 8th century may seem nasty, brutish, and short, but at least we can count on the weather, and if
an entire village is wiped out, it's generally by raiders and not by some mysterious plague.

Haakon hersir Haukarson
JdL,GdS, HL, etc.

Dark Ages? Hey, if you want more light, thatch burns quite well.