[Artemisia] The 14th Century

S CLEMENGER sclemenger at msn.com
Wed Feb 27 21:26:35 CST 2008

  ----- Original Message -----
  From: earlalan at srv.net<mailto:earlalan at srv.net>
  Sent: Wednesday, February 27, 2008 8:02 PM
  Subject: [Artemisia] The 14th Century

  Haakon wrote:

  "climatic changes resulting in crop failures and suffering
  all across Europe, it's not the best time in the SCA
  period to live."

  Well, I guess it's how you look at it.   I personally find
  it the best time to play in the SCA.  While there were some
  obstacles and adversity to overcome, our ancestors did in
  fact overcome them.  Had the plague not popped up, who's to
  say that the middle class would exist now?

  And the opportunities were grand and glorious.  Much of what
  we think of as chivalrous emerged from the 14th century,
  such as the Order of the Garter, etc.  Not to mention that
  armour finally became "armour".  And the clothes, oh, the
  clothes are definately light years ahead of earlier
  centuries.

  **Yeah.  We've got buttons, and tailoring, and all kinds of goodies.
  **--Maire, who thinks it's 1408, and who made it out of the 1300s just fine, thank goodness!.....