[Artemisia] zip codes and kingdoms

Kit aussie at gemstate.net
Thu Feb 28 04:42:31 CST 2008

----- Original Message -----
From: "Dr. C. M. Helm-Clark Ph.D." <cat at rocks4brains.com>
To: <artemisia at lists.gallowglass.org>
Sent: Wednesday, February 27, 2008 8:53 PM
Subject: [Artemisia] zip codes and kingdoms

>> You wouldn't want to include Wells, Nevada, on that
>> list would you? No, I know you can't, but there is
>> always wishful thinking.
>> Doria
>
> Ok, I'll bite.
>
> Doria, why not?
> One could make a good case to peel off Wells
> and attach it to Artemisia. Consider that
> it is quicker to travel to Wells from Twin
> Falls or SLC than it is from Reno. Given the
> time and gas involved, an argument based on
> travel time is compelling. Because I'm a
> rockaholic, I've been driving all over Nevada
> for the last 20 years. As a result, I know
> the travel times to a certainty (Wells to
> Reno, 5 hours; Wells to Twin Falls, 2 hours;
> Wells to SLC, 2.5 hours).
>
> The current sovereigns and seneschal in the
> West are all reasonable people and I think
> that a proposal to detach Wells would not be
> dismissed out-of-hand.
>
> Another variant to attach you to Artemisia
> would be to "treaty out." The best example of
> treatying out comes from Three Rivers. When
> Calontir split from the Middle, the new border
> sliced down the Missouri River and through
> the middle of the local SCA group, thus
> dividing that group into the baronies of Three
> Rivers and Shattered Crystal. Since the group
> was sliced in half, the Middle and Calontir
> made a treaty (with SCA blessing) not to split
> the populace geographically. Everyone had a
> choice as to which barony to reside in,
> regardless of which side of the river they
> lived on.  So there were people who lived in
> St. Louis but who played in Shattered Crystal
> as native Midrealmers - and visa versa.
>
> I believe such a scheme would work between
> Artemisia and the West. It would take a treaty
> to let you split off. Such a treaty would need
> approval from the BoD or society seneschal. It's
> a scheme that's worked before so there is a
> precedent.  Properly done, it would leave the
> West as the "owner" of Wells but it would make
> you et al. subjects of Artemisia regardless.
>
> Just something to think about...
>
> ttfn
> Therasia

I believe that you can put in a plea for that sort of circumstances, because
living just barely over the Idaho border we now belong to Cote du Ciel
seeing for the past few yrs that is where we attend.  It is only 35 mins
from Logan to the Shire than to Idaho Falls and One thousand Eyes, which is
over an hour and half for us to attend meetings.

Cathryn Anne