[Artemisia] Make Fighting more fun

Jeanne P / Casamira jeannecas at gmail.com
Sun Jan 13 19:12:51 CST 2008

Hi Alan,
As many of you know, I've been playing in the SCA since 1981.  I never,
NEVER wanted to fight.  And now I'm a combat archer.  Why?

Because when I came to Archery practice, I was welcomed.  I was given loaner
stuff to use without charge.  Even thought I sucked at archery, I was
encouraged to keep "flinging arrows".  And the folks at archery practice had
FUN!

And when it was suggested that I try combat archery, Lord Ryryd showed me a
low-cost way to get what I needed together and make it happen.  He provided
the leather for my coat of plate, the know-how to make it and infinite
patience as I worked with him.  Plus 1 dozen arrows and a loaner bow.  Plus,
my apprentice, Hildegard, said I could use her helm.
While I can't repay Lord Ryryd, I have done what I could to get 2 other
people into armor.  And I will continue to support those who want to do
combat archery.

So if you've got old armor pieces lying around, let someone use them.  It
might be another body on the field.

And one more suggestion - if you let someone new try on your stuff - make
sure the gambeson has been washed recently.

Jeanne Panlener / Baroness Casamira Jawjalny, O.L., O.P.
Artemisian Minister of Arts & Sciences
The Pun is mightier than the Sword!