[Artemisia] Making Fighting More Fun

ttherrien at netzero.net ttherrien at netzero.net
Tue Jan 15 08:36:40 CST 2008

A few thoughts from a "newbie".

First: It is somewhat intimidating to go to events and watch tourneys such as bearpits, and the like, and realize that you are likely to be squaring off against fighters who have been doing this for some time and are (sometimes) deadly serious about this. As a Tae Kwon Do student I was introduced to sparring by fighting opponents at or near my level under the supervision of an instructor. This let me cut my teeth and receive some good instruction. Perhaps some would adopt this practice, at least once in a while, in heavy fighting. Let me add this, however, NO ONE beats the SCA for having people who will teach you if you show the least bit of interest.
Second: Expense. Armor and gear will eat your lunch, especially if you are new. That alone has held me back from getting started. I understand the need for safety. But if I can't afford to buy, or make the gear, I won't jump in. I am not crying poor, nor do I think anyone else is. But this is a hobby that will quickly empty a wallet. There must be ways to get people into the game without breaking the bank. Sadly, I am new enough that I haven't found them yet.
Thanks for the discussion, though. It helps to know that others are seeing some of the same things I am.
Caoilte McBain