[Artemisia] Making Fighting More Fun

Lady Flora lady_flora at msn.com
Tue Jan 15 09:43:50 CST 2008

It is my understanding (and I have NOT done a lot of research on this) that
in Medieval Times, the village supported its Knights.  Having Knights around
meant that our homes and families were protected from invasion.  Knights
were held in highest esteem and gratitude by local folks.

It was the villager who made the armor, tended the crops, prepared the food,
stitched the boots, made the weapons, thatched the roofs, wove the fabric,
made the banners, made the garb.................

In Cote du Ciel we are still lucky to be small enough that Fighter Practice
and Arts and Sciences activites are held on the same night.  It affords all
of us non-fighters a means of showing interest in our fighters progress.  It
also puts the tailor in the same room with a fighter who may need a new
undertunic or some other piece of garb that supports his/her fighting.

We in Cote du Ciel have also started the practice of taking turns bringing
refreshments to each weekly meeting.  FOOD is a wonderful way of showing
support and is a GREAT ice-breaker.  Many of our newbies volunteer to bring
refreshments as their first act of "belonging."  And while most all fighters
I know are accustomed to bringing a jug of gator ade with them to practice,
how nice it is for them if there is also a brownie or a cookie or a piece of
spice cake or some cheese and crackers.

So while I agree with most of the missives on this topic, that teaching and
an attitude of "fun" is VERY important within the fighting circle, it is
also important that the rest of a group show support and enthusism for this
oh-so-important facet of our game.  Esprit du Corps can come from
non-fighters as well as the fighters themselves.

Just a couple of ideas.......

As Always,
Lady Flora of Heronton