[Artemisia] Grand Council discussions

Richard Samul scascot at mac.com
Sat Jan 19 15:22:22 CST 2008

*sigh* And so it begins...

> We have our Board assigned Topic:
>
> The Board of Directors would like the Grand Council to consider the
> topic
> of membership dues with respect to "pay to play",

No.

> "pay to participate",

Already required for activities, in the form of membership.

> "pay to fight"

Already not an issue, currently required. See above.

>  or "pay to...?"

Already required for a variety of things. Let's not add to the list.

> We would like the Council to study this issue, and to give us an
> idea of
> the potential problems and pitfalls,

Reduced membership for one, as potential new members quickly add up
the $ cost of doing the really cool stuff and are turned off, and
reduced participation of those who can't afford to buy into the system
but would otherwise be an asset to the Society for another.

This speaks directly to the "tiered membership" format mentioned
below, wherein you pay a fee to join, pay another fee to fight, pay
another fee to be a Chrurgeon, pay another fee to bring your horse to
an equestrian event and participate, pay another fee for the privilege
of wearing a hat (would that be a "brass tax"?), white belt, Laurel/
Pelican, bowing to the throne, using the porta-castle, etc.

> the positives

There are none.

> and what the council perceives as the general feeling of the Society
> toward such a model.

"Loathing! Unadulterated loathing!"
(This moment from "Wicked" brought to you free of charge.)

--

Earc