[Artemisia] Grand Council discussions

BECKY LEISHMAN leishman10 at msn.com
Mon Jan 21 17:47:28 CST 2008

Without any snippage:

Why pay for membership...and pay for play ... my thoughts on the subject:

We became card carrying members of the SCA about 2 months after attending our first activity, a fighter practice.  It only took that long because it took me that long to make up my mind and to figure out how to get and send the membership forms.

Most organizations require membership 'dues' in one form or another, so it only made sense to us.... that we pay dues.

It wasn't to get newsletters (the same info is available online)... I do however enjoy the TI and Compleat Anachronist publications that we pay extra for.
It wasn't to be able to hold an office (although we do).
It wasn't to get spiffy awards (although we have and appreciate the acknowledgement of our efforts to serve).
It wasn't so we could fight, neither of us are fighters, although my hubby now shoots archery, and was previously a rapier marshall.
To us, it was because we grew up in an era where you paid for the privilege of 'belonging' to an organization, and it just seemed like the 'right thing' to do.

We already have a multi level membership option... it appears to me that the reasoning behind it is to make it a tad 'easier' for families to
become members.  That makes sense to me. Although we pay the high end rates ourselves, folks with lots of kids have a harder time making ends meet, giving them an option of somewhat lower fees, makes it easier for them to join in on the fun, and also have a sense of  'belonging'.. to say nothing of reducing the amount of paperwork needed at every event you go to.

It is true, membership would not help you if you were injured as a fighter... one would hope that if you are crazy enough (sorry) to be out on a field allowing yourself to get hit in the head and elsewhere with big sticks, that you would have the foresight to understand you are putting yourself at risk and should perhaps carry some sort of health insurance or at least know where and how to get free or significantly reduced health care should you get injured. (that's your responsibility however, not mine).  I carry insurance myself so that if I go walking across a field, step in a gopher hole and break my leg, I can be treated without breaking the bank. It does however help ensure our ability to rent some of the sites that we use without having to pay huge additional insurance fees.

It makes sense for the organization of this size (and with these types of activities)  to offer a form of 'personal insurance' that folks could purchase in addition to their membership, that would cover the type of accidents that can occur at an event for a nominal fee (per year - to members only)... similar to the insurance you get through the schools, etc.  It also makes sense to require purchase of said 'insurance' to those who put themselves at greater risk - fighters, equestrians. This type of insurance coverage costs money, and I would expect those who take advantage of it to also absorb the cost... not me.

I think that most of us (unless we were born with a silver spoon in our mouths) can remember a time when we simply couldn't afford to absorb the costs of membership in this type of an organization.  Some of us would choose to get our financial houses in order prior to starting to get too heavily involved with this type of group.. others would limit their play to a few events a year.  Some would continue full steam ahead and be very disturbed when they can't afford to feed their families - it's all a matter of priorities.

Anytime there is talk of changing the fee structure, there is always a big 'to - do' on the networks.  Granted sometimes folks just have to talk it out to come to terms with 'change'.   The fact of the matter is... as long as I can afford to be a card carrying member, I will continue to be one. When I can't, I will probably stop playing and focus my attention on what it was that caused me not to be able to pay my dues.

I hope that anyone who is out there listening, look at the logic behind 'membership', and come to terms with it.  It's highly unlikely it will go away or get less 'costly' anytime soon.

My two cents.
Bethoc