[Artemisia] The Fossil State

Dr. C. M. Helm-Clark Ph.D. cat at rocks4brains.com
Mon Jan 21 18:14:07 CST 2008

On Mon, 2008-01-21 at 12:00 -0600, <morganblaidddu at yahoo.com> wrote:

> Which tells you how REALLY small the town in Wyoming is, Constance is
> only 29!

Bad Morgan!  No Biscuit!!!

yes, yes - party lines certainly were fun...
We were up at the farm one summer and our collie
got out without anyone noticing.  My dad was on
the party line talking to someone in town (Plymouth
Union, VT) and Mr. Snow, the dairyman at the farm
just down the road breaks into the call without
warning.  I could hear it clear across the kitchen:
"Consternation, Helm, come get your darn dog. He
rounded up all my cows and it's not milking time
yet!"

The ultimate phone weirdness, at least for me:
I spent part of one summer when I was in high school
living on a boat. There was a pay phone at the end
of the dock but when the boat was actually out on the
water, the only phone was a marine radio phone and
all calls had to be connected through the marine
operator.  The word "over" was very popular for
some reason...

Hey, I still have paper tape of computer programs
I wrote in high school, one the school's fancy new
computer, a PDP-8.  I still have a manual for writing
machine code for it in DEC TOPS.  I have punch cards
too...

But I know that I'm just a kid in a sand box compared
to Dame Ariel.  She used write code in IBM assembler
language! Is it any surprise she's a grandmother?

ttfn
Therasia
(ducking and running - out of town! Ariel lives just down the street...)