[Artemisia] The teaching children life-skills (was "The Fossil State") (long)

Angela Zentz allegretza at yahoo.com
Wed Jan 23 10:23:56 CST 2008

Georgia Foster <jo_foster81 at hotmail.com> wrote:
    I have always been of the firm opinion that children need to know basic life skills (cooking, washing and mending) by the time they reach adolescence.

  >>I agree totally.  I have enough to do without being their maid.  Also, it is a skill that they need to know.  TV dinners get really old, really fast.  My 13 year old daughter can cook a full meal from scratch, including dessert, that is quite good.  She dirties every pot, pan and bowl in the kitchen, but she won't starve!  But because of that, she also knows how to do dishes--both by hand and loading a dishwasher.

  <snip>
-cook on a wood-burning stove.

  >>Does cooking over a campfire after assisting in setting up a tent count?  If so, I have 2 that can do it...sort of!

Cheers
Malkin
Otherhill
Artemisia

Jo (Georgia L.) Foster

  I can remember as a child many times having my oldest brother (a former Marine, 6' 2" and a bouncer at the local bar) knitting my Barbie a blanket.  He also makes great souffles.  My other brother (currently serving in Army Special Forces as a helicopter pilot) bought his wife a sewing machine for her birthday a couple years ago...and he sews his daughter's dresses.  I also remember the cramped hands from milking cows, the aching back from mucking out stalls and the slivers from chopping wood.  I sewed my first complete outfit (blouse, vest and skirt) and recieved a blue ribbon at the State Fair when I was 10.  I started embroidery and cooking the next year.

  All have made me who I am today.  I believe it is called character building.

  Allegretza
  Arrow's Flight

  Why did you stop running??
  I'm not done, I'm reloading!!