[Artemisia] Some clarification of the Grand Council Discussions

morgan wolf morganblaidddu at yahoo.com
Wed Jan 23 13:48:39 CST 2008

---- Original Message ----
From: KATHLEEN COBURN <crippledkat at msn.com>
Sent: Wednesday, January 23, 2008 12:15:36 PM
Subject: Re: [Artemisia] Some clarification of the Grand Council Discussions

One thing I keep seeing mentioned on this discussion, and I may be reading things wrong, is a perception that the SCA insurance covers players who might be injured at an SCA sanctioned event; whereas from everything I can recall from prior years in another kingdom (West) it was pointed out to the populace that if you are a player and injure yourself at an event the SCA insurance will not cover you.  If my memory on this subject is faulty, I would appreciate correction.  If my memory is fuzzy or incomplete, please fill in the blanks.

Lady Q Kat - also know as a bit of a midden stirrer

THIS IS NOT AN **OFFICIAL** RESPONSE

My understanding after 18 years and reading the pertinent documents several times:  The SCA insurance is strictly liability insurance, i.e. it covers the SCA's liability for property and/or personal damage.  The waiver we all sign is, in essence, waiving our right to file a claim with said insurance for personal injuries we receive as part of our wholly-voluntary activities in the SCA, specifically fighting.  In short, the insurance covers the broken window at the indoor fighting site, but not the fighter who fell through said window.

Morgan