[Artemisia] OOH, NEW TOPIC! MEDIEVAL EVEN!

Chuck Heisler Jr. conradvz at yahoo.com
Thu Jan 24 12:20:32 CST 2008

Greetings,

  If Harald Hadratta's fleet had been ravaged then Godwinson wouldn't have needed to march north.  The Northern Earls would have been able to take care of what was left of the Viking invasion.

  This would have conserved Godwinsons armys energy AND its extremely valuable Huscarls that were lost against Hardratta.  In my opinion, this would have made it much easier to repulse the Normans.

HOWEVER, if Harald Godwinson is killed, the Saxons probably lose the battle and the war regardless of the changes.

  Just my opinion.

  Cvz

morgan wolf <morganblaidddu at yahoo.com> wrote:
  Wendy and I were discussing ideas for a short story last night, centered around the "butterfly effect" idea, and came up with this one- We all know that William the Bastard was able to conquer England in large part becuase Harold Godwinson's army was exhausted when they met, having just forced-marched to York to stop an invasion by Harald Hadratta, and forced-marched back south to meet William's invasion force. So, here's the "butterfly effect"- what would have happened if one of the ubiquitous Channel Storms had severely damaged, even decimated, Hadratta's fleet, and at the same time delayed William from launching from Normandy for 2 days. Or, even if Hadratta's fleet had survived intact, a storm delayed William's landing by 2 days, giving Harold's army time to mosey back to the south and be fully-rested. Thoughts?

Morgan