[Artemisia] OOH, NEW TOPIC! MEDIEVAL EVEN!

grvsmith at wyoming.com grvsmith at wyoming.com
Thu Jan 24 12:48:41 CST 2008

--- LadyPDC at aol.com wrote:

From: LadyPDC at aol.com
To: artemisia at lists.gallowglass.org
Subject: Re: [Artemisia] OOH, NEW TOPIC! MEDIEVAL EVEN!
Date: Thu, 24 Jan 2008 13:32:29 EST

In a message dated 1/24/2008 11:12:46 A.M. Mountain Standard Time,
morganblaidddu at yahoo.com writes:

Wendy  and I were discussing ideas for a short story last night, centered
around the  "butterfly effect" idea, and came up with this one- We all know that
William  the Bastard was able to conquer England in large part because Harold
Godwinson's army was exhausted when they met, having just forced-marched to
York to stop an invasion by Harald Hadratta, and forced-marched back south to
meet William's invasion force.  <<<<<<<<<snip>>>>>>>>>>>>

Depends on how that effected one archer.  In my very uneducated  opinion,
that one arrow had much to do with the defeat of the army.  With  the leader
dead, everyone lost momentum.  I could be wrong in both my  memory or the facts.
(I have a Swiss Cheese mind)  But if I am  remembering correctly then a
butterfly wing could truly make a difference.

Mistress Constance de la Rose, OL
Barony of Loch  Salann
Kingdom of Artemisia

Another thing that would have helped the Saxons is not trying to chase the mounted Normans during their seeming withdrawal, but instead staying on the hill and maintaining their lines.

However Misstress Constance is corret...the old arrow through the eye....would have been very hard to overcome regardless of how fresh the saxon forces were.

Frideger