[Artemisia] before rocks were hard

Regis Johanns regis at inav.net
Sun Jan 27 19:32:33 CST 2008

Just thought I would weigh in on the discussion of SCA memories.   My
earliest days were from the Principality of Drachenwald.  I was there
when we got our first Barony (Knights Crossing)and was the first Baronal
Hearald.  We had a very feisty bunch of fighters that thought it was
funny to threaten Hearald.  Many famous Knights of the SCA would travel
to our lands, visit, and do their best to teach and displayed courtly
chivalrous manners.  Some of the Knights I have always remembered and
measured all others by were Robert, Leah and Michael (the Lucky)from
Utah ( Outlands at that time?) and a guy from out West called Duke Paul
(Bellitrix).  Sir Paul took me to the side at a tournament and said that
tormenting Hearalds just wasn't tolerated by Western Kingdom Knights and
suggested that he might be my Champion for the day.  He instructed me to
announce that I would accept Challenges and then he stepped up and took
over.  There was a good natured attitude check and from that day on all
Drachenwald Hearlds received a wee bit more courtesy.

A few years later I was getting close to having to return Stateside, and
was keeping my eye out for my replacement as the Hearald of Insula
Draconis (England) I had met a sharp young lass from Montana and
introduced her to the SCA and with the help of several other officers
conspired to get her interested in Hearaldry.  Last I heard she was
compiling history of Artemesia and still practicing heraldry with much
respect and appreciation in Montana.  (Baroness Shanna)

I guess if you hang around the Society long enough you are bound to meet
some very special people.

Anton von Heidlerg,  (kind of the Forrest Gump of Drachenwald, making a
new home in Artemesia)