[Artemisia] Uprising site idea: memorial/vigil "chapel"

morgan wolf morganblaidddu at yahoo.com
Mon Jan 28 12:23:03 CST 2008

----- Original Message ----
From: "Archer1229 at aol.com" <Archer1229 at aol.com>
To: artemisia at lists.gallowglass.org
Sent: Sunday, January 27, 2008 9:23:20 PM
Subject: [Artemisia] Uprising site idea: memorial/vigil "chapel"

I was envisioning something with names on walls, peers having the  three
inside walls.  The door area into the "chapel"  could have  a timeline of our
Royalty.
HL Dederick of Huntington

I of course saw this after reading several replies to it, and I think I see the answer to the rub that a few have pointed out- Whose names go on the walls.  So, please follow me through my thoughts, and feel free to point out my stupidity later-  HL Dederick suggested a memorial chapel, with the names of our fallen on the walls, as well as the names of our Peers, one Peerage to each wall, and the Royal Lineage of Artemisia on the fourth wall.  Several folk (most of them Peers, which I find nice), would rather see the names of everyone on the walls; FIRST DISCONNECT- I saw no indication that HL Dederick intended to leave out the fallen who were not Peers, just that he accounted for 4 walls in other ways.
PROBLEMS I SEE- the first, most obvious one, is the issue of it being a "chapel".  While I have no issue with it, it being a specifically SCA building it could NOT have ANY religious materials, I think (pretty sure about it).  Quite simply, I would be offended by the religious symbols of any other religion than my own being present at my Vigil (not that THAT is going to be happening in this life, but you see the point).  Which leads right to the second problem- what if more than one person, oh say a knight and a pelican, are on Vigil at the same time?  First one called gets the building, flip a coin, time served?  This also brings up the third issue, what about those who are put on vigil at other events?  Would new Peers now only be done at Uprising?  Could you imagine the length of Court for 4-6 Peerage ceremonies?!?

Of course, I didn't mention the non-Peer vs Peer walls, because that's the easiest thing of all to resolve- add more walls.  One for the Royal Lineage, one for the Knights, one for the Pelicans, one for the Laurels, two for the rest of us, make it a six-walled building.

Having said "nay" with so many negative points, I will conclude by saying I think it is a wonderful idea, and would love to see it.

Morgan