[Artemisia] FW: Uprising site idea: memorial/vigil "chapel"

Dan Lind darthnapster at gmail.com
Mon Jan 28 14:38:30 CST 2008

On 1/28/08, Michael Nelson <nelsomik at yahoo.com> wrote:

> Everyone,
>
> I for one would like to see the following:
>
> 1. Chapel\Memorial Site of some kind.
> 2. Book of Peerage - That way if someone wants to view it as part of their
> Vigil they can. If not, they do not have to. If I go to a chapel I am
> going
> to contemplate those who have gone ahead of me, the hereafter or specific
> problems that have arisen in life.
> 3. Names on three walls of those who have passed.
> 4. Fourth wall has Timeline of Royalty.
> 5. Religious Icons - I for one would not be offended in any way by the
> icons
> of other religions being in the sanctuary. Being fairly new to SCA I am
> not
> sure how that works out though. Everyone's beliefs deserve the respect
> that
> we would like for our own. I see no problem with this if any group could
> contribute to it. I mean after all it is a chapel.
>
> Anyways, just my two cents. Back to lurking now...
>
> Thanks!
>
> Mikjall

Dear Artemisia,

It occurs to me that while the memorial structure likely need be permanent
it's contents need not.  We could have a chest within the hall containing
various religious symbols provided by members of each faith that could be
displayed or not displayed depending on the desires of the ones standing
vigil.

There could also be a book kept for each of the orders; one for the knights,
one for the laurels, and one for the pelicans.  Each would be a history of
those who have gone before and their words to those who come after.  This
could help alleviate the needs of multiple vigil standers or those who stand
vigil at other events.  Imagine a squire years form now reading the words of
our current knights.  The words of Peers who have moved away could be added
as well, so they may continue to contribute our beloved kingdom.

Such books could also alleviate the dual nature of the structure.  Since the
books of each order would provide help to vigils and honor to the Peers, the
decoration of the structure could be dedicated solely to the memory of those
who have gone before.  I would suggest that the dead be given a place of
honor central to the decor, but that the sides of the structure be left
undecorated so that more may be added as time passes and so that the living
may be allowed to place new items of their own each year to honor those who
have gone before.  I would be honored to help with the making of these
books.

I also suggest that the structure be shaped like a valentine heart, as seen
from above.  This would serve the dual purpose of showing our love for those
who have passed, and to present two separate alcoves which could be used for
two concurrent vigils.  It would also cause the walls to be curved showing
the unity found among all recorded there.

Christian

--
Einarr the Christian Son of Håkon, GPA
Côte du Ciel